By Prof A Majeed Chaudary
94-Years Ago Sir Ganga Ram — the son of this soil breathed his last in London. His remains were put in river Ganges and River Ravi in Lahore. He was called Hatamtai of Punjab.
There will never be another Gangaram. His contributions are so immense that anyone would loose the count.
He was born in Mangtanwala in the village next to Sharqpur. I visited this place few years ago and now there is a school. Whole modern Lahore is a testimony of brilliance and perfection of his talent.
He donated his personal residence now called Hailey college of commerce. Horse train in Jaranwala is still running. His Hyder power station is functional near Okara.
Of Sir Gangaram hospital started in 1921 and Balakram medical school now Fatima Jinnah media also university after the name of his grand son is serving the humanity for over hundred years. Let’s pay tribute this great human being.
The Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETBP) has recently restored the Samadhi of Sir Ganga Ram.
The final resting place of the Hindu philanthropist is located on Ravi Road, close to Taxali Gate of the Walled City.
The Samadhi was occupied by some persons for quite some time; therefore, it was closed for the general public.
Born in 1851 in Mangtanwala near Sheikhupura, Rai Bahadur Sir Ganga Ram was a civil engineer and an architect by profession. He made extensive contributions to the urban fabric of Lahore.
Sir Ganga Ram joined the Government College Lahore in 1869.In1871, he did his engineering degree from the Thompson Engineering College at Roorkee, India.
Sir Ganga Ram designed the high court, Aitchison College, Hailey College of Commerce, Lahore Museum, Mayo School of Arts which is now known as the National College of Arts, the General Post Office building, the Albert Victor Wing of the Lahore Mayo Hospital and the Government College`s chemical laboratory.
He established it in 1921 at Lahore 26 years before the Partition of India. He died in 1927 in London. PAK DESTINY