- Guide lines for Diabetics — Good for weight reduction too
By Col Wajid
Total carbohydrates (vegetables and fruits )allowed around 40–50% , the protein (legumes, pulses, fish, poultry, or lean meat) 20–30%, and fat 30-35% . Saturated fat limited to less than 10% of the total daily caloric intake. Choose relevant carb, protean or fat from from below. A cup of cooked vegetable, legume constitute one portion .
At least 2medium sized glasses of water immediately on getting up.
One boiled egg, one whole grain roti, one portion of cooked vegetables, half medium sized apple or 5 berries , fistful of nuts ( 7 almond+ 2 dry apricot), 15-20 gram walnuts, 6-7 raisins— overnight soaked in water), One cup of unsweetened tea. One glass of water at the end.
2-3 dates with one to two glass of water with lemon. No carbonated drink with milk. After 30-45 minutes have meal of one whole grain roti, one portion of cooked vegetables with 30- 50 gram of lean meat, one portion of vegetables as salad (Boiled bund gobi green or red, Onion, Carrots, Cucumber, Boiled Beet). Can have grilled fish twice a week. Water not more than 2 glasses with meals. Then two more glasses before sleep.
Vegetables:Leafy Cabbage( Bund Gobi green or red), Red or green Bell pepper , Broccoli, Spinach, Onion, Carrots, Cocumber, Cauliflower, Egg plant, Beats
Fruits: Straw berries, Blue berries, Apple or any seasonal ripe fruit( very limited intake).
All kind of beans in moderation (half cup in a day)
Proteins:legumes, pulses, fish, lean meat, Eggs, Chicken, Grilled fish, ( no red meat)
Saturated fats :Desi Ghee, Coconut oil
Other fats : Virgin olive ( in salads only), , Flex seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Almond, Dry apricot, walnuts, raisins
- The consumption of carbohydrates from high fibre vegetables (cooked and raw), whole fruits, yogurt and milk are encouraged.
- The consumption of carbohydrates from sugar heavy desserts and highly processed grains ( like corn, white rice, and fried potatoes) should be avoided. A moderate amount of healthy dessert is permitted (1/2 a piece of fruit or 5 berries.). 8 glasses of water and non-sweetened beverages(lemon water), between, the sehri and iftar are. essential.
- Sugary drinks, syrups, milk soda , canned juices, or fresh juices( more than one glass at sehri) with or without added sugar should be avoided.
- Take sehri as late as possible, especially when fasting for longer than 10 hours.
- If needed, a healthier snack such as one piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, or vegetables may be consumed after iftar.between meals. The snack should be of 100–200 calories.
- Those chronically ill, pregnant, breastfeeding , old and sick with health restrictions are exempted from observing a fast during Ramadan. — PAK DESTINY